[nsp] OSPF

Majdi S. Abbas msa@samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:29:47 -0700

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 12:54:30PM +0200, odusseus wrote:
> I set up an loopback interface on R2 whith the same IP address as R1, but
> I keep the loopback interface of R2 shuted down.
>
> Now if OSPF is not running between R1 and R2, R3 can ping R1 loopback
> interface.
>
> But if OSPF is running between R1 and R2, then R3 cannot ping R1 loopback
> interface. (although I set it up as passive-interface.) Why?

	I suspect you'll find that both boxes have the same OSPF router ID.
End result, R2 drops all information from R1, and doesn't forward traffic
to R1 for that loopback address.  The traffic terminates locally, where the
interface is shut down, and thusly there is no response.

	Or something along these lines -- I'm pre caffeine.  Configure a
different loopback address on R2 and it should work fine.

	--msa