[nsp] MPLS: a couple of questions

Harold Ritter hritter@cisco.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:11:35 -0400

Pierfrancesco,

At 10:35 AM 10/23/2002 +0200, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

>Hello,
>I would like to know if there are limitations for MPLS and OSPF: do
>all routers that have to share a vpn need to be on the same OSPF area?

There is no need for a single area if you use LDP or TDP to signal the LSPs
between the PE routers. If you use MPLS TE instead, you have to make sure
to run a level of code that supports inter-area tunnels if you don't want
the one area restriction to apply.

See the following URL for more information on MPLS-TE inter-area tunnels:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s22/fs_areat.htm

>Is it possible to have MPLS over MPLS? In other words, can a customer
>of mine that sees his routers connected with VPNs (without seeing my
>backbone) in turn sell VPNs to _his_ customers ?

Yes, it is possible. See the following URL to get more information on
Carrier Supporting Carrier:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s22/csc22.htm