[nsp] 7206VXR and GE-1

carlo manuel r camus carloc@asti.dost.gov.ph
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:44:53 +0800

We're planning to buy a 7206 but we're not sure which processor would be
best.  We're choosing between NPE-400, NSE-1, and NPE-GE1

Most of our lines are E1/E1-FR/VSAT or leased lines but we would want to
do traffic policing, QoS, VoIP, Netflow, MPLS(?).  The plan is to have
the 7206 at the center of a star topology, of maybe 10-15 branches, and
from where our external links are connected.

Our considerations for the configs:

NSE-1:
-accelerated for network services but slower than NPE-400 and more
expensive ($5K)

NPE-400:
-(I think) sufficient computing power, cheaper, but maybe old already?

NPE-GE1:
-has 3 GigE interfaces for future upgrade paths, doesn't need IO
controller, we may be able to save on GigE modules later as well, but I
don't exactly know the costs involved here, also rather new - software
may be buggy or lacking features

Any comments? Thanks.

Carlo Manuel R. Camus
Advanced Science and Technology Institute
http://www.asti.dost.gov.ph