[nsp] 7206VXR and GE-1

Gert Doering gert@greenie.muc.de
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:26:01 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 08:44:53AM +0800, carlo manuel r camus wrote:
> NPE-400:
> -(I think) sufficient computing power, cheaper, but maybe old already?

We've had very good experience with the NPE-400.  The first batches had
problems with "bad" 256 Mb DIMMs, but as soon as that was corrected,
they have been very fast and very reliable.

>From your description, I assume that you won't max out the bus bandwidth
of the 7206, and also not saturate the NPE-400.  So it would be a good
choice.

> NPE-GE1:
> -has 3 GigE interfaces for future upgrade paths, doesn't need IO
> controller, we may be able to save on GigE modules later as well, but I
> don't exactly know the costs involved here, also rather new - software
> may be buggy or lacking features

The NPE-G1 sounds *very* promising, but I'm still reluctant to recommend it.

It doesn't run 12.0S software, and not 12.2 mainstream either, but only
a special branch of 12.2.  So the chances to find an IOS image that
doesn't have any nasty bugs and provides all the features that you need
might not be too good.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * Sardinia, Italy *