[nsp] Real world L2TP PXF performance increases

Mark Ivens mivens@clara.net
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:46:31 +0100

Hello,

A previous post on this list cited 1500 L2TP sessions as a real world
limit on an NPE-300 LNS.

Now that L2TP is PXF accelerated in 12.2(4)B, what real world
performance improvements (if any) could be expected between an NPE-400
and an NSE-1?  For example, Cisco quotes a 65% improvement for PPPoA
(rather than L2TP) but this is in the same FAQ claiming an NPE-400 can
support 8000 sessions :-)

Replacing an NPE-400 with an NSE-1 would mean a 263MHz rather than
350MHz main CPU and punting the L2TP encapsulation work onto a little
100MHz PXF processor but leave my 20% interrupt load and 15% IP Input
currently on my NPE-400 on its main processor. Still, not sure if it
would be worth it.

On a related note, does anyone know when the NPE-G1 is going to arrive?

Cheers
Mark