[nsp] Real world L2TP PXF performance increases

Arie Vayner ariev@netvision.net.il
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:54:01 +0200

Also, you must be very careful with features on PXF - if you get it
wrong, you will shut off the PXF processing.
I know about problems with MSS Adjust on several platforms/versions.

Arie

-----Original Message-----
From: sthaug@nethelp.no [mailto:sthaug@nethelp.no]=20
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 10:43 PM
To: mivens@clara.net
Cc: cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [nsp] Real world L2TP PXF performance increases

> A previous post on this list cited 1500 L2TP sessions as a real world=20
> limit on an NPE-300 LNS.
>=20
> Now that L2TP is PXF accelerated in 12.2(4)B, what real world=20
> performance improvements (if any) could be expected between an NPE-400

> and an NSE-1?  For example, Cisco quotes a 65% improvement for PPPoA=20
> (rather than L2TP) but this is in the same FAQ claiming an NPE-400 can

> support 8000 sessions :-)

Note that this depends a *lot* on how many session connects/disconnects
you have per second. We found this out the hard way when trying to use
NPE-300 for L2TP termination of dialup customers (typically 2 x ISDN=20
BRI). Our boxes were getting killed by the signalling, not the actual
L2TP packet shuffling.

If you're doing PPPoA for ADSL customers, your signalling rates will be
much lower, of course.