[nsp] NTP server in 800 Series routers

James Sneeringer james+cisco@vincentsystems.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:32:30 -0500

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:32:01AM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
| What IOS feature set do I need to have an NTP server (not just SNTP
| client) in a 800 Series router?

Judging from the release notes through IOS 12.2, the 800 series does
not support full NTP in any feature set.

| If it is not available at all, what technology could I use to
| broadcast NTP packets to a remote network behind a c805?

You are wanting to push time updates to clients instead of having the
clients poll a server?  If your network topology will permit it, you
might be able to have your NTP server use multicast for updates.  You
will need a "plus" image to get multicast support on the 805, and then
you only get relaying, but that should be enough for this application.

Release notes for the various IOS versions for the 805 are at:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/805/805rlnts/index.htm

-James