[nsp] ebgp vs ebgp multihop

HyunSeog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Wed Apr 2 09:59:45 EST 2003

You can specify ebgp-multihop syntax to avoid that.
Based on traceroute hop count, you can specify how many hop will be allowed for
multi-hop eBGP.
If you don't specify it, by default, it will be 255.

Hyun

Everton da Silva Marques wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 01:42:10PM +1100, Dmitri Kalintsev wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:01:28PM +0100, Nipper, Arnold wrote:
> > > Simple rule: if you don't have to do it don't do it. I only came across
> > > multi-hop in the following situtations:
> > >
> > >  + direct hops are not capable of running bgp (or bgp with full tables)
> > >  + bundeling of links
> > >  + for monitoring purposes
> >
> > + Next hop rewrite to something non-directly-connected.
>
> Also, it may be of note that:
>
> One usually expects a BGP session to close and
> to withdraw routes when the underlying directly
> connected links fail.
>
> Depending on the AS peering-topology and routing policy,
> a BGP multi-hop session could remain established
> through other path than the expected one
> (the directly connected network).
>
> This issue does not exist for one-hop-BGP.

* This does not represent Norlight Telecommunications, and
does only represent my humble opinion.

Hyunseog Ryu                   mailto:r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Senior Network Engineer/Applications Engineering
Norlight Telecommunications, Inc.
Living in Earth, and dreaming in the moon world.