[nsp] Cisco 3660 Password Recovery

Clayton Zekelman clayton at mnsi.net
Thu Apr 17 22:04:27 EDT 2003

We have a 3660 router that we pulled from one of our POP's and were about to redeploy it, but
we ran into a nasty problem.

The unit isn't accepting the password we have on record for it, and to top it all off, somehow the "no service password-recovery" option got set.  I have no idea how this happened.

I tried a procedure I found on the web which showed how to bypass this setting at a specific phase of the boot cycle, but it didn't work on our router.  The example was shown with 12.0.7(T) on a C2600.  I'm going to try to put a 12.0.7(T) image for the 3660 on a flash card, and force a boot from it by removing the on board flash.  Am I heading in the wrong direction?