[nsp] PXF / NSE-1 experiences?

rpcbind at speakeasy.net rpcbind at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 18 12:55:44 EDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Gregor von Stangen wrote:

> from our personal experience, I would avoid the NSE-1. Last year, we had
> three NSE-1 in use which kept happily crashing. The boards have been
> swapped to NPE-400 in the meantime and run stable now.

Do you know if this is a result of systemically flaky hardware (problems w/
2948G-L3's cited on list come to mind), or just unstable code? (ie. 7401 is
always an option if Cisco doesn't consider PXF isn't a good idea gone bad)

Were you using PXF-assisted features before switching? If so, how much of a
cpu hit did you take going to the NPE-400?

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Shane Amante wrote:

> Just curious if you're obligated/committed to use Cisco, because you
> already have the equipment on hand, or if your open to other vendors?

Don't have the equipment available presently, but the flexibility of the
platform is a big plus for me (ie. will always be re-deployable to do
something useful -- route reflector, ipsec box, intervlan router, etc, etc).

Recognizing that what I want is a bit atypical (src addr selection based on
port) and I can write the IOS config for it off the top of my head (and know
it works) makes me a bit reluctant to go after a different product (though I
will check it out, thanks).

Thanks for the feedback..