[nsp] RE: Catalyst 5000(5500) over 4000(4500)???

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 16 22:35:04 EDT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 02:51:41PM -0500, Schonemann II, James R. wrote:
> In a nut shell the difference between the 5500 & the 4500s is that the
> 4500 line was designed to support converged networks. In doing so it has
> support for advanced services required in a converged network. This
> switch was designed to carry Voice, Video, & Data.  The 5509 was
> designed to carry web pages, email.

How exactly do you design a Layer 2 device for different types of
Layer 7 data?

(I could read between your lines that the 4500 has a much faster
backplane, and thus can support nonblocking forwarding for all the
ports, which the 5509 can't - but if yo want to say that, please do so,
and save us the marketingspeak)

The original question wasn't about 4500's, though, but about 4005s, in
which case the answer isn't that easy.  The old 4000 supervisor boards
are also heavily limited (no IGMP snooping, for example).

The 4500 with SupIII is a very nice box, and definitely better than a 5000.

gert

--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * Carthage, Tunisia *