[nsp] RE: Catalyst 5000(5500) over 4000(4500)???

Jay Young jay at net.ohio-state.edu
Mon Apr 21 17:27:17 EDT 2003

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 02:51:41PM -0500, Schonemann II, James R. wrote:
>>switch was designed to carry Voice, Video, & Data.  The 5509 was
>>designed to carry web pages, email.
>

> How exactly do you design a Layer 2 device for different types of
> Layer 7 data?

I think the differences in design are the types and number of input /
output queues supported, as well as the ability to use class of service
bits in the ethernet headers, assign quality policies, etc. It has been
my understanding that the 5500 series switches are a little poor in
these areas. Although we still pass lots of data through these old
switches. And hey isn't it really cool to have a built-in ATM switch
right in the bottom. (I wish all ethernet switches had one :)

--
Jay Young			|Office of Information Technology
Network Engineer		|The Ohio State University