[nsp] 7500: catos+ios vs ios (Hybrid & Native IOS)

Everett Dowd edowd at cox.net
Wed Apr 23 21:42:31 EDT 2003

Our entire core network is using 6509's in native mode. It makes setting up
fairly consistent with the new edge devices and our failover is no more than
about 30 seconds. If you are using a 6509 for special purpose, I would keey
hybrid but if you want to route and switch in a box, then IMHO native is the
way to go. It makes a 65xx almost like a 76xx router.

All of our 6509's are running very stable and have been for several years We
do have 2xsups1a/msfc1/2 and sup2/msfc2 on our core devices now. You just
can't do too many fancy things and certain cards are not supported in native
versus hybrid. However they rock without many problems...

YMMV

Everett Dowd