[re]storing vlan.dat (was Re: [nsp] 6509 going to rommon)

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Wed Apr 30 18:30:29 EDT 2003

Tuc [28/04/03 13:41 -0400]:

> > You need enable for the more command..
> >
> 	Ah. Ok. Thanks. Well, I wasn't paying attention, and it isn't a flat
> text file. Guess its useless to show it to RANCID....Also talked to one of
> my techs, said the router might not like it being copied off, and then
> copied back. So I guess I just live with "Sho VLAN".
>
> 	Thanks everyone.
> 		Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.

Almost, that's why I submitted the patch to make rancid do 'sh vlan', as ugly
as it makes all of our repositories with the wrapped lines and whatnot (the
RANCID maintainers weren't too keen either :).

For what it's worth, you can backup vlan.dat, but you have to jump through
some hoops to restore it.  I'm not sure if it was mentioned on the list or
not, but I received a private mail about it some time back (too long ago to
remember the particulars).

IIRC, to restore the database, freshen the switch, set it to transparent mode
and have it save a vlan.dat file (create a vlan or whatever), and then
restore the vlan.dat file and reload.  If that doesn't work, there was
another step between restoring the vlan.dat file and reloading... (perhaps
somehow refreshing the file so the IOS doesn't treat it like an organ
transplant and reject it ;).

-afort