[nsp] Bridging VLANs to WAN customers

Brad Bonin brad at cisco.com
Wed Apr 30 09:51:13 EDT 2003

A couple of options:

1.  Depending upon the other end of the WAN connection, you could use
L2TPv3 to tunnel your L2 Ethernet traffic.  L2TPv3 is not supported on
routers below 7200.

2.  You can simply use bridgegroups.  I've helped another customer
migrate servers between data centers without changing the IP addresses
by bridging the two VLANs over an ATM connection.  We configured
approximately 10 bridge-groups and had over 15Mbps bridged traffic.  The
router we used was a 7507/RSP4 on one end and a 6509/MSFCII on the other
end.

If you are dealing with just a couple of VLANs and a couple of T-1's, I
don't really see a problem.  Just cut over in stages and pay attention
to your cpu.

brad