[nsp] Weird BVI Interface Problem

Joe Boyce jboyce at shasta.com
Fri Aug 1 11:35:22 EDT 2003

Hello,

Or maybe it's not weird, just something I'm doing wrong.

We have a Cisco 2650 with a IMA 4 Port T1 Adapter that we are using to
do DSL termination.  It has a combination of routed SDSL/IDSL
customers on it and Bridged ADSL customers.

When I reload the router for whatever reason, all of the BVI
interfaces go into a down/down state, saying that there are no active
members of the bridge group.

The fix is to copy the config, do a 'conf t' and paste the config back
into the router.  Then the BVI's magically go active and the ADSL
customers are back up again.

A sample BVI interface looks like this:

!
interface BVI4
 description Bridged Customers on X.X.X.X/25
 ip address X.X.X.129 255.255.255.128
!

A sample bridged ADSL customers looks like this:

!
interface ATM1/IMA0.158 multipoint
 description 12465-34
 no ip route-cache
 no ip mroute-cache
 pvc 1/158
 !
 bridge-group 4
 bridge-group 4 spanning-disabled
!

There is also:

bridge 4 protocol ieee
 bridge 4 route ip

&

bridge irb

In the config that is relevant to the bridge groups.

I'm currently running IOS 12.2(7)A.

Anyone have any ideas on this issue?

Regards,

Joe Boyce