[nsp] Channelized DS3

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Mon Aug 4 10:09:50 EDT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Mark Tinka wrote:

> cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> > What's the cheapest way to terminate a channelized DS3 circuit into a
> > Cisco router?  Can this be done on a 2600 series, or do we have to
> > move up to a 7200?
> >

> > thanks...
>
> Well, I haven't yet come this far with my WANs, but wouldn't an HSSI
> interface do? It can do some 52Mbps or so? Haven't really used it before, so
> I can't offer more than this.

A 2610 or something similar really doesn't have the power needed to drive
a channelized DS3, particularly if the T1 channels are going to move any
significant amounts of traffic.  A 2650 or higher *may* work, but I've
never tried it.

I believe there are external DS3 mux units you can buy that take a
channelized DS3 in from the telco and feed it out as a HSSI to your
router.  I don't know how much these boxes cost, but I'd suspect that once
you add up the costs of the mux, HSSI interface for the router, and the
cable, it's not much cheaper than a 7200 with a channelized DS3 port
adapter.  I have many 7200s like this in service, some driving 5 or 6
channelized DS3s and they work fine.

Your initial cost is higher with  the 7200s, but the incremental costs to
add another circuit and interface are quite low, plus you don't need to
worry about an external box dropping out on you in the middle of the
night or further complicating your troubleshooting when something flakes out.

jms