[nsp] BGP, best way to build an transit AS

Lukas Krattiger luk at everyware.ch
Tue Aug 5 12:07:21 EDT 2003

Thanks for all the usefull answers, I like to write/read this list ...
always great ideas and answers :-)

And an other question/topic ...
         best way to build an transit AS

We are starting now to offer transit through our network, at this time we
are doing bgp to some upstreams (4) and peering. We configured our prefixes
with the network command (and aggregation), filter-list, prefix-list etc,
see config-part below.

router bgp AS_ME
  no synchronization
  no bgp fast-external-fallover
  bgp log-neighbor-changes
  network X.X.X.X mask Y.Y.Y.Y
  aggregate-address X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y summary-only
  neighbor upstream1 remote-as AS2
  neighbor upstream1 prefix-list A out
  neighbor upstream1 filter-list 10 out
  neighbor upstream2 remote-as AS2
  neighbor upstream2 prefix-list A out
  neighbor upstream2 filter-list 10 out
  neighbor customer1 remote-as AS_CUSTOMER
  neighbor customer1 filter-list 100 in
!
ip as-path access-list 10 permit ^AS_ME$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit ^AS_CUSTOMER$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit ^$
ip as-path access-list 10 deny .*
!
ip as-path access-list 100 permit ^AS_CUSTOMER$
!
ip prefix-list A seq 5 permit X.X.X.X/Y le 32
ip prefix-list A seq 10 permit customer_prefix/24 le 32

Now we have some customers who want to get internet over bgp from us ...
what would be the easiest or most used way to reach to goal to announce the
customer_prefix and AS to my two upstreams. I have to add more transit
customers in  soon so I want to find a generic way to add them "easy". :-)

Thanks in advance

-Lukas