[nsp] Netflow questions - flow expiry

Steve Francis steve at expertcity.com
Thu Aug 14 13:07:44 EDT 2003

So I just noticed that I am vastly exceeding the 32K suggested number of
MLS entries on a Cat6K with Sup2/PFC2/MSFC2.
This gives rise to a few questions:
Per the docs:

Flow entries in the MLS cache expire and are flushed from the MLS cache
when one of the following conditions occurs:
- The transport protocol indicates that the connection is completed.
- Traffic inactivity exceeds 15 seconds.

Given I have mls flow ip destination-source, this means that the router
is not looking at the transport protocol, so it seems the first
statement does not apply. Can anyone confirm that with a flow mask of
FULL, the mls netflow entry is purged once the TCP FIN flags go by?
Otherwise I guess I get to play with the aging timers...

Also, what is the effect of exceeding the 32K limit? "If the number of
MLS entries exceeds 32K, only adjacency statistics might be available
for some flows." What does that mean?

Thanks