[nsp] Radius Server Suggestion

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Sun Aug 17 21:28:26 EDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Mac Jones wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> someone can point me to a good radius server? I need SQL or Ldap
> support for authentication. Multiplatform (UNIX/Win) support will be
> good.
>
> Will be good  to know the best freeware and the best commercial
> software available.

I'm very partial to Radiator if you need to squeeze into an existing setup
that has many "quirks" to deal with.  Some people are frightened of it
since it is perl, but it only compiles on startup, so it is quite fast.
It's some of the best perl code you'll ever see, and you can really make
it do just about anything.  Documentation is excellent, as is the mailing
list support.

GNU-Radius seems nice.

I'm currently using FreeRadius, but be warned that it is very
linux-centric, so if you build it on *BSD, you've got some work to do, and
if you use the ports version it will lag a bit behind the current release
as it takes the maintainer a bit of time to un-linux it.  Documentation is
*very* minimal, and Mr. DeKok is trying hard to win the DJB personality
award.  That said, once you fiddle around it seems to work very well, but
you must be very familiar with "old school" radius terminology and config
file parsing (ie: you should know Livingston or Merit inside and out).

Charles