[nsp] Switch/Router to use in colocation

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Aug 20 11:33:21 EDT 2003

Not so much a colo setting but in a enterprise environment...We used
Cat5500 and the RSM (Route/Switch Module) and a single Sup card.... 5.5s
are disocntinued now but the unit was fully capable of handling *ALL* the
traffic I could throw at it (at one point I had it routing close to a full
gigabit internally)...That said it only did ethernet connections, but it
did them damned well.  The Cat5.5k are EOL/EOS but as I understand it the
6.5 is the replacement for those.  They should handle admirable ina n
ethernet environment.

The one issue I had witht hem was that the RSM would process switch EVERY
packet ont he Default VLAN on it's internal/backplane 'trunk' interfaces.
So you had to (assuming defaults) totally avoid Vlan1 at all costs in order
to get anything more than about 80mbit out of it.

Best luck.

--On Wednesday, August 20, 2003 6:52 AM -0400 Kenny Stoltz <kenny at qx.net>