[nsp] AS5300 loosing memory

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Aug 20 15:53:52 EDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Siva Valliappan wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
>    you end users might be infected with blaster or some variant (sobig,
> nachi, etc).  it sounds like you are fast-switching on those routers
> and they are consuming all the available memory in building cache
> tables.

We're having the same problem on our 5248's and 53192's.  Things that have
run fine for years are suddenly fragmenting their memory (and briefly
running out of memory) to the point that they stop working properly.  I'm
using the recommended policy routing workaround on our borders to stop any
more of this from getting in (already blocked more than a gig of incoming
nachi echo traffic), but are the access-servers likely being crashed by
connected customer generated traffic, or by traffic destined for their
assigned IP pools?

If it's customer generated traffic, we may be in trouble.  I don't know if
the 5200's can handle 48 per-user acls.