[nsp] BGP issues after upgrading IOS versions

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Aug 26 00:10:51 EDT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Scott Lambert wrote:

> In hopes of curing this we tried to upgrade the IOS over the weekend.
> We have tried 12.0(25)S1 and 12.2(18)S.  In both cases, everything
> looked like it worked with one exception.  We could not reach anywhere
> outside our network.

12.2(18)S is kind of bleeding edge, having only been released a few days
ago.  I'd suggest you try again with 12.2(14)S1.  It's been out a couple
months and has been field tested by many more networks.

> With 12.2(18)S, the BGP sessions kept dieing with "out of memory"
> errors.  The router has 155MB according to "sho ver".

You're upgrading from 12.0S to 12.2S, right?  I suspect you'll find that
155MB just isn't going to cut it for full routes.  12.2 code uses more
memory.  I bet you were close to running out with 12.0 code.  Upgrade to
256mb or take less than full routes.