[nsp] IOS recommendation for DSL aggregation

ALBERTO.CITA at telefonica.net ALBERTO.CITA at telefonica.net
Wed Dec 3 02:15:20 EST 2003

Hi Justin,

Definetly I'd advice you to take an IOS version from a "B" train. These
are specially designed for broadband aggregation, and (I still wonder
why) you won't find any information neither in Cisco's software advisor
nor in Cisco's Feature Navigator at the CC0.

I have obtained very good (=stable) result with 12.2(8)B releases.
Given the fact that and EOL has been recently issued for 12.2B, I'd
recommend you to choose the most recent maintenance release from the
12.3B mainline (which I must admit I haven't still tested/deployed as
widely as the 12.2B train, but it is supposed to inherit all features
from 12.2B train). For example 12.3(1a)B.

When talking about choosing a feature set, an "Enterprise Feature Set"
would cover even the more depanding features (including MPLS VPN
integration stuff).

If you're planning to aggregate PPPoX (hundreds of PPP sessions), then
I'd also recommend you to purchase (I realise how expensive it is) a
Broadband Aggregation Feature Licence.

Finally if would you be thinking of implementing RFC2547bis VPN
services, you'd also need an MPLS feature license.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Alberto Cita