[nsp] ibgp across wan - BCP ?

Pete Templin pete.templin at texlink.com
Wed Dec 3 08:43:28 EST 2003

The underlying IGP will take care of next hop reachability if you use loopback.  If it's an island router with respect to your IBGP topology, it probably doesn't matter, but if its multihomed within your IBGP mesh you probably want to peer using the loopback.

In our case, we recently migrated to BGP confederations.  We have four cities, and presently one router per city but that's likely to explode soon in our bigger cities.  Each city is now its own confederation.  To me, it makes the decision quite clear: intra-city is true IBGP, so the routers will peer by loopback. Inter-city is logically EBGP, so the routers peer by interface address.  This makes it easier to adjust MED based on the IGP metric or a similar comparison.  With all due credit, http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0006/confed.html was the inspiration for us to make the switch, and by all accounts it's best to move to confederations earlier rather than later.

Pete Templin
Senior Staff Engineer
TexLink Communications
(210) 892-4183