[nsp] Cisco ATM switches

Zach Wilkinson zachw at termdex.com
Wed Dec 3 14:10:34 EST 2003

I'm not familiar with that Lucent device, but if you could clarify some
things ...
How many ports of each type do you need on this device?
Do you need to switch cells (VPI/VCI => VPI/VCI) or just gateway between ATM
and non-ATM interfaces?

For an actual ATM switch the choices are limited.  The LightStream 1010 is
most popular, but supposedly Cat85x0 will work as well.  If you're a xSP I
think some Stratacom equipment is still available.
The real ATM switch company used to be Fore, now Marconi, but most of my
experience has been on Alcatel/Xylan Omniswitch boxes.

For a simple gateway, any device (router, most likely) with an ATM interface
will do.

Zach