[nsp] Colo DC setup

Michael Lyngbøl michael at lyngbol.dk
Mon Dec 8 15:12:51 EST 2003

On 08.12.2003 20:39:28 +0000, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> > > If you can do all your peering based on Ethernet connections, 6500
> > > with Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 or better can be *very* good for BGP peering.
> > > We're very happy with our 6509s used for just this purpose. We have
> > > several full and partial views on each 6500.
> >
> > How many iBGP and eBGP peers? I've haven't had the time to beat our
> > testnet 7609 (Sup2 et al), but I wouldn't trust it as a full loaded
> > peering box.
>
> We certainly trust them that way. A couple of examples:
>
> - Box with 3 full views and 18 partial views. 4 iBGP and 17 eBGP peers.
> - Box with 2 full views and 49 partial views. 4 iBGP and 47 eBGP peers.

Too many times I've seen GSR GRP's choke under eBGP instability. Ok, the
Sup2 (and Sup720) has a faster CPU, but the BGP code is still the same

> > > Note that Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 with full routing tables no longer work
> > > with uRPF due to the size of the routing tables.
> >
> > Sad as uRPF, strict or loose, are nice features.
>
> Agreed. We'll probably upgrade to Sup720 when the budget permits it!

Specs are nice. Now we're awaiting the RSP720, MPLS support, et al.

/Michael

--
Michael Lyngbøl -- michael at lyngbol dot dk
Network Architect, AS3292 TDC, IP·backbone