[nsp] HSRP problem

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Wed Dec 10 16:05:41 EST 2003

Roger wrote:

| Ed Ravin wrote:
|
|> Are "shared hsrp address" and "primary ip address x.x.x.x" in the same
|> subnet?
|
| No - seperate subnets.
|
|> If not, have you configured routing for the shared HSRP address?
|>

| Ahh - changing the hsrp address to one within the subnet fixed things.
|
|> The last time I tried stuff like this, it didn't work unless I used an
|> HSRP address that was in the same subnet as one of the primary or
|> secondary
|> addresses on the interface.  What does:
|>
|>  show ip route <shared HSRP address>
|>

| Yes it was pointed to Null 0 - on both active and standby routers- which
| was fairly strange...
|
|> show?
|>

| That is a limitation... when HSRP address have to be in the same
| subnet..  Now I'm aware of that things will move along quickly!

Well, that is the generally accepted way of doing it.  The point is that
the HSRP address is a virtual default gateway address for hosts on that
subnet.  Hence, the HSRP address should be part of the subnet for the hosts
that need to get off the local subnet.  If it were in a different subnet
than the hosts that need to reach it, they would need a route to the subnet
for the HSRP address.

However, in looking at your issue, I was successful in using an address is
a different subnet.  The workstation or router that was trying to ping the
HSRP address needed to believe that it could ARP on the local wire however.
~ That required static route pointing to interface to make it work.  Kinda
defeats the purpose of HSRP.

R2#sh standby
Ethernet0/0 - Group 0
~  State is Active
~    2 state changes, last state change 00:07:48
~  Virtual IP address is 132.108.5.2
~  Active virtual MAC address is 0000.0c07.ac00
~    Local virtual MAC address is 0000.0c07.ac00 (bia)
~  Hello time 3 sec, hold time 10 sec
~    Next hello sent in 0.008 secs
~  Preemption disabled
~  Active router is local
~  Standby router is unknown
~  Priority 100 (default 100)
~  IP redundancy name is "hsrp-Et0/0-0" (default)

R3#sh ip int bri
Interface        IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
Ethernet0/0      132.108.4.3     YES NVRAM  up                    up
Ethernet1/0      142.108.10.3    YES NVRAM  up                    up
Loopback0        3.3.3.3         YES NVRAM  up                    up
Virtual-Access1  unassigned      YES unset  up                    up

R3#sh ip route static
~     132.108.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
S       132.108.5.0/24 is directly connected, Ethernet0/0

R3#ping 132.108.5.2

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 132.108.5.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 20/22/32 ms

| Thanks!

- --
=========
bep