[nsp] HSRP and VLANs

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Tue Dec 16 10:15:46 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:32:30AM -0500, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> > Even if you have enough IP addresses, I wouldn't turn HSRP up on your
> > BGP links.  You actually gain less benefit doing that than you get by
> > having 2 sessions spread across 2 routers.
>
> That just made me wonder...if you connect to an upstream via ethernet, are
> there good reasons not to terminate your end on a switch going to 2
> routers and actually have a BGP session from each of your routers to the
> provider?  Does anyone do this?

Yes. We have several upstreams connected that way. We set up sessions
from both routers to the upstream router. Additionally, we enabled HSRP
on the interfaces and set the next-hop of all announced prefixes to that
HSRP address in the outgoing route-map.

This way we can reload one router without having any connectivity loss
at all.

Bernhard