[nsp] HSRP and VLANs

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Dec 16 16:05:12 EST 2003

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 05:03:51PM +0100, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:
> > Is there a limit (other than the number of VLANs a router can
> > support) on the number of standby IPs that can be configured?
>
> HSRP can support up to 255 groups, even in a Vlan configuration (so you
> can't re-use the same group-id in another vlan, a restriction which
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> might be gone in newer releases, haven't checked in a long time).

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, our cisco's don't believe you...:

Cisco-M-XI>sh stand
Vlan1 - Group 10
Vlan2 - Group 0
Vlan6 - Group 0
Vlan8 - Group 0

Cisco-M-XI>sh ver
IOS (tm) C5RSM Software (C5RSM-ISV-M), Version 12.0(23), RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)

so at least for the C5RSM with "recent" 12.0 IOSes, it really can do
multiple group 0's - but of course only on different VLANs.

<rant>
It's a pity the C5RSM and C5RSFC are receiving so poor support from
Cisco's side - they work really well for "us" smaller ISPs that have
no need for Cat6k power, and have no desire for the cat6k module/SUP/IOS/
feature disparity mess...
</rant>

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/