[nsp] 7401

Burns, Keith Keith_Burns at icgcomm.com
Wed Dec 17 10:29:28 EST 2003

This is a little misleading.

Essentially the "stackable" LNS solution was to use a Cisco 6500 doing SLB
in front of the LNS network element stack.

An IE2100 (configuration engine) kept LDAP templates of the generic
configuration and specifics between LNS-A, LNS-B etc were stored as LDAP
variables.

Say you were to have "m" active LNS, and kept 1 for standby (m:1
redundancy), the IE2100 keeps a session with each LNS and if one becomes
"inactive" it is taken out of the pool and the standby LNS is instantiated
with the failed LNS' LDAP variables (so for all intensive purposes it looks
like the failed LNS).

We bid this when I was at Cisco very early this year, and it was very
immature then but has probably improved dramatically.

The idea is a nice one and at the time Cisco was looking at extending the
LNS Network Element to include 10Ks as well as 7400/7200s - not sure where
its at at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Keith Burns
Principal Network Architect
ICG Telecommunications
IP Ph: 303-414-5385
Cell:   303-912-3777

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan rolls on...."