[nsp] HSRP and VLANs

Robert Larsen robert.larsen at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 17 10:25:06 EST 2003

Well, this is interesting - my previous comment about being able to use a
VIP that's in a different subnet than the physical interface addresses needs
a bit of clarification...

I based this statement on a tested configuration using Riverstone routers.
Here, you create IP software interfaces that are usually associated with a
physical port or VLAN.  You also create an IP interface that has no
association like this, which is typically used as a loopback address for
management.  With Riverstone, you can give an IP interface any text name you
like (not just loopback 0, fastethernet x/y, fe-x/y/z, etc.), and of course
you specify what IP address and mask you want for that IP interface.

Now when you define the VIP for VRRP, you add the name of the IP interface.
That's how you can do this using Riverstone.

I've had a quick look at IOS and JUNOS, and I can't immediately see a way of
achieving this, unless anyone else can shed any light on it?

Rob.