[nsp] OSPF x firewall

hcb at gettcomm.com hcb at gettcomm.com
Fri Dec 19 10:20:27 EST 2003

Quoting BERKANE Mourad <mourad.berkane.prestataire at cegetel.fr>:

> Thanks for your point Russel.
>
> As oli said it won't work unless doing something really dirty:
>
> - Can't a Firewall change a IP TTL value?
> - Can't IP source of LSA packets change by a firewall?
> - Can't a Tunneling of Multicast packets between 2 FW interfaces be
> possible?
>
> Nothing standard, ok this look dirty :-) and may be not possible with all
> firewall vendors.
>
> A clean solution could be changing routing design (to static) or including
> firewall feature internally to the routers (ACL).

Good points, but even more important is getting a clear statement of the
security policy (i.e., the top management view) and the security threats
against which the enterprise wants protection.  I've heard many people suggest
they want firewalls in the middle of the routing system, as in this case, but I
can't say that I ever found a situation where doing so was really a good idea.
It often does make sense to have separate routing systems on each side of the
firewall, with static/default routes to the local firewall interface.

More often than not, the "open" side of the firewall does not have a very
complicated routing environment, and it's actually a bad idea to have dynamic
routing in a place where it can be hacked.

Routing protocols like OSPF, as others have mentioned in this thread, assume
that they are sending messages to link-local routers and are variously designed
so they can't cross subnets, either by OSPF setting TTL=1 or ISIS running
directly over the data link problem.

We still haven't heard enough about the problem that needs to be solved, at a
higher level of requirements abstraction than "I need a firewall in the middle
of OSPF."  Among other questions is whether the issue is security of the
routing system is the issue, and good authentication the solution, or why there
can't be different subnets on both sides of the firewall,