[nsp] Purchase Cisco IOS

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Fri Dec 19 15:10:54 EST 2003

Gerald wrote:

| I know this question has come up here in the past.
|
| If I want to sell a cisco router on Ebay (or to a customer of mine) and
| want to include an IOS to sell to the recipient, is there anything you can
| purchase that you can give to someone else? I know there are many ways to
| get IOS that are less than honest, and for what I'm considering I would
| want the whole thing above board. Example router for discussion purposes
| 2501.

Well, going strictly by the licensing agreement for IOS, no.  Here is the
clause that gets you:

	General Limitations. Except as otherwise expressly provided under 		this
Agreement, Customer shall have no right, and Customer 			specifically
agrees not to:

~    		(i) transfer, assign or sublicense its license rights to 			any other
person, or use the Software on unauthorized or 			secondhand Cisco
equipment, and any such attempted 				transfer, assignment or sublicense
shall be void;

| I ask on this list for 2.5 reasons.
|
| 1. I don't have the time nor patience at the moment to deal with some
| cisco sales rep who will try and increase his commission to please my
| passing curiosity.
| 2. I'm looking for the best priced suggestion from other people that work
| with the routers and actually have to deal with this like I do.
| 2.5 I know some cisco ppl read this list and might be able to cut through
| the crap faster than a sales person.
|
| The best I can come up with from previous discussions on this list and
| elsewhere would be something like store credit with some IOS reseller that
| I give to the purchaser of the router.
|
| Thanks for responses, and off list responses are fine by me. I'll post
| anything useful back to the list.

There is a way to relicense software.  Here are the pointers to both the
policy on software transfer and how to relicense:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swlicense.html

- --
=========