[nsp] L3 Loadbalancing EtherChannels

Marcel Lemmen marcel at support.net
Wed Dec 24 05:36:42 EST 2003

Hi,

I can't seem to get the load balancing optimal between 2 links in an
EtherChannel the way I want. This is the situation:

1 Linux Router is connected to a Catalyst 4006 running CatOS
1 Server connected to the switch.
2 Cisco Border Routers are connected to the same switch.
1 of these Border Routers is connected with a 2 Gbit EtherChannel.

The Linux router is talking BGP to both Border routers to decide where to
send it's traffic.

The catalyst shows a 52%-48% packet balancing however the traffic
distribution is 300Mbps for 1 link and 100Mbps for the other one. As far
as I can see traffic from the server is using the 100Mbps link, all
traffic from the Linux router is using the other link. The Linux router is
routing NNTP traffic with has a packet size of 1500+ bytes. The other link
has much smaller packets which explains the 52-48 packet balancing and the
300-100 traffic utilization.

The c4006 is not running IOS you can't chance the distribution method.

Since I can't get the link utilization correct on L2 I'm looking for ways
to do so on L3. Can anyone give me some suggestions? CEF based load
balancing doesn't work since Quagga (Linux) doesn't support it...

With kind regards,

Marcel Lemmen
Support Net - Partner in Managed Internet Solutions

--= Try http://alt.binaries.nl =--