[nsp] Duplicate stop-record from NAS

Chris Parker cparker at starnetusa.net
Wed Feb 12 11:12:36 EST 2003

At 01:16 PM 2/12/2003 +0200, Kostas Anagnopoulos wrote:
>Hi,
>
>A copy-paste from "deploying cisco voice over ip solutions".I think
>it is related to your case:
>
>"After sending a cdr,if the gateway doesn't receive a response from the
>Radius server within
>a certain period of time,it will produce duplicate cdr's and deliver them to
>the Radius server.This can happen
>when the gateway doesn't receive a timely response from the Radius server
>acknowledging receipt of the
>original record.The particular billing application is responsible for
>discarding these duplicate records"
>
>I've tryied to limit the records by manipulating a few timers on my gateway
>with no success though.

You could take a look at http://www.freeradius.org

Try using the 'rlm_acct_unique' module.  This should allow you to determine
if a record has already been accounted for in your billing system, or if
it is a new record.

Basically it allows you to create a more unique session-id than simply
using the Acct-Session-Id RADIUS attribute.  It dies this by creating
an MD-5 hash based on any attributes that you configure.

In any large sized RADIUS install you will get the same start/stop
records recorded more than once.  You need to have RADIUS and/or
billing software smart enough to recognize and discard the duplicates.

-Chris
--
    \\\|||///  \          StarNet Inc.      \         Chris Parker
    \ ~   ~ /   \       WX *is* Wireless!    \   Director, Engineering
                   \ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net