Re: [nsp] Getting real throughput on ATM PVC´s

Wayne (cisco nsp) wg-cisco-nsp at wgustavus.com
Sun Feb 16 00:42:38 EST 2003

The behavior in the referenced doc should be accurate.  Measuring PVCs on
GSRs w/ 12.0(17)ST2 and 7500s w/ 12.0(11)S3 both exhibit this behavior (not
including the cell header and aal5 padding).  For a maxed-out VBR PVC (i.e.
stabilizing on a xmission rate of the SCR), you can see this by polling the
PVC utiliz off the ATM switch you will see the actual cell rate.

For example, if using MRTG to graph the BW utiliz on a VBR PVC w/ a 10Mbps
SCR that was "full", the PVC graph for the router would show a flat looking
graph at around 8.5Mbps.  The PVC measured via the ATM switch would show a
flat graph of around 10Mbps (i.e. the router shaped the cell rate on the ckt
to the SCR)  This is the expected behavior to prevent any ATM switch in the
path from policing the traffic.

HTH,

-Wayne Gustavus
  CCIE #7426