[nsp] Subnet question

charles spamington spamscanner at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 21:20:54 EST 2003

Hi,

I currently have a small flat network consisting of a
few hundred PC servers and enough routing/switching
equipment to get them online. The machines are all
contained within 1 /20, which is not subnetted at all.
We'd like to try to create VLANs on the router and
subnet the network, while disturbing the connectivity
of the machines as little as possible.

The first half of the /21 in the block has basicly
been 'pooled' between about 200 machines. The other
few hundred machines have been assigned Ips in
subnets, leaving space for a router IP in each subnet
so when we finally did do this those machines would be
ready.

The issue is that when we actually do this, we would
need to change the gateway/netmask address on each
machine. Since the first group of machines are in 1
large /21 and would be using the same router address
that they're using now, after we do the switch they
would still be online and not have to be updated
immediately.

How can we buy some 'hold' time with the rest of the
machines so they don't go offline until the
gateway/netmask has been updated? Are there any sort
of tricks we can use? Any way to buy us sometime while
we update the machines?

The only option I can think of is to write a script to
be ran on the machines right before we do the switch..

Any help suggestions is appreciated.

Joey