[nsp] traceroute question

Yves.Fauser at gcon.de Yves.Fauser at gcon.de
Mon Feb 17 20:28:56 EST 2003

Hi Folks,

I have a question which might be an implementation specific issue, or an
misunderstanding of some concepts from my part. here's the setup : - We
have a small MPLS Network with 25 PEs and 5 Ps. All of them are Cisco7600
(Catalyst6500) with 4-GE-WAN OSMs. We are still in the migration phase, so
our Global-Routing-Table is still used for a bunch of prefixes. We use
OSPF in a single area as IGP and TDP.

Test WS  ---- PE1  -----  P  ----- PE2 ----|Sniffer|----- FireWall -----
External Network

The external network is learned via static (E2) from PE2. Since the prefix
is learned via static, there is no PHP on the P device.
Now if we do a traceroute from the Test WS (Global RT) to a host in the
external network, we get an answer from every hop. What I don't understand
is what we see in the Sniffer trace.
In the trace the first thing we see is an "ICMP time exceeded" sourced by
PE2 and send to the FireWall with the destination "Test WS". I understand
this, since PE2 is sending the "TTL exceeded" message up the LSP to the
FireWall, which sends it back, as described in RFCs and in various books.
What I don't get is why we don't see the "ICMP Time Exceeded" send from
the P device. If I understood the concepts right, we should see this in
the trace, but we don't. Unfortunatly I didn't get the chance to do a
Sniffer trace between the P and PE2 (lack of a Gigabit-Sniffer). Since we
get a response from the P device in the traceroute output, either PE2 or P
sends the "ICMP TTL Exceed" from the P device back to the workstation.

So my main question is : - Should we see a "TTL Exceeded" with a source
address of the P device and the workstation as destination in the Sniffer
trace, or did I miss something in the concept.

Thanks, Yves-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...