[nsp] VLANs on 2948G-L3

Dave [Hawk-Systems] dave at hawk-systems.com
Tue Feb 25 22:49:26 EST 2003

We are looking to terminate several Fast Ethernet links which bring in a VLAN
for all our DSL clients, and VLANS for other clients who are conencting from our
Bell ATM cloud.  Briefly reviewing the 2948G-L3 specs and details as a potential
solution for use in the datacenter where rackspace is at a premium.

At first glance it appears that the 2948G-L3 can handle up to 244 VLANS, and up
to 32 on any physical port.  The DSL users (coming in over one trunk) and the
VLAN conenctions(1.5mb and 10mb burstable connections) are coming in over the
other interface(s).

The 2948 seems to be able to handle this workload...  caveats? Other concerns I
should be considering?

IOS version recommendations (I know details are sparse)?

Upgrade path to handle more VLANs?

(2948 would allow handling of the VLANs for the bell connected clients, and
provide FastE connections  for the AS5300 NASs and network/web servers located
in the same rack.

Input appreciated.

Dave