[nsp] VLANs on 2948G-L3 -> 3550

Dave [Hawk-Systems] dave at hawk-systems.com
Wed Feb 26 09:16:20 EST 2003

>> Unless you have 2948G-L3s around,

we don't, but can get them cheap.  From emails and recent research I've done
into previous postings on various lists regarding the 2948G-L3, the performance
doesn't match the Cisco brag sheet (unfortunate, because it really *sounds* like
a good solution). Pays to ask the list I guess :)

>> I would really recommend the 3550 (or a chassis based solution like the
>> 4507R or the 6500). The 3550 can't handle more than 128 VLANs, though.
>
>Not sure where you got the above figure but the 3550 handles up to 1005
>vlans. It also supports VLAN access control lists
>and QOS and also supports private VLANS.

I have read that as well, though also came across documentation for the 2948
that reads differently than what I initially quoted as its capabilities.

***

So it appears that I am looking at a 3550 with EMI (not SMI) to handle the VLAN
trunking that we need.  Comments?

Appreciate the opinions and insight given so far.

Dave