[nsp] VLANs on 2948G-L3

Colin Jenkinson c.jenkinson at uws.edu.au
Wed Feb 26 21:21:23 EST 2003

>> At first glance it appears that the 2948G-L3 can handle up to 244
>> VLANS, and up to 32 on any physical port.  The DSL users (coming in
>> over one trunk) and the VLAN conenctions(1.5mb and 10mb burstable
>> connections) are coming in over the other interface(s).
>>
>> The 2948 seems to be able to handle this workload...  caveats? Other
>> concerns I should be considering?

> Unless you have 2948G-L3s around, I would really recommend the 3550 (or a
chassis based solution like the 4507R or the
> 6500). The 3550 can't handle more than 128 VLANs, though.

Not sure where you got the above figure but the 3550 handles up to 1005
vlans. It also supports VLAN access control lists
and QOS and also supports private VLANS.

show vtp status on one of our 3550s gives:

VTP Version                     : 2
Configuration Revision          : 38
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs        : 26
VTP Operating Mode              : Client
VTP Domain Name                 : xxxx
VTP Pruning Mode                : Enabled
VTP V2 Mode                     : Enabled

According to Cisco's literature:
"The Catalyst 3550 switch supports 1005 VLANs in VTP client, server, and
transparent modes. VLANs are identified with a number from 1 to 4094. VLAN
IDs 1002 through 1005 are reserved for Token Ring and FDDI VLANs. VTP only
learns normal-range VLANs, with VLAN IDs 1 to 1005; VLAN IDs greater than
1005 are extended-range VLANs and are not stored in the VLAN database. The
switch must be in VTP transparent mode when you create VLAN IDs from 1006 to
4094."

Catalyst 2950-xx 64 VLANS

Catalyst 2950C-24 250 VLANS

Catalyst 2950G-xx-EI 250 VLANS

Catalyst 2950T-24 250 VLANS

Catalyst 3500 XL series 250 VLANS

Catalyst 2900 XL series 64 vlans

Catalyst 3550  up to 1,005 VLANs per switch and up to 128 instances of
spanning tree per switch.

Catalyst 6500 1023 vlans

hope this helps,
                Colin