[nsp] VLANs on 2948G-L3

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Feb 26 08:50:07 EST 2003

> At first glance it appears that the 2948G-L3 can handle up to 244 VLANS, and up
> to 32 on any physical port.  The DSL users (coming in over one trunk) and the
> VLAN conenctions(1.5mb and 10mb burstable connections) are coming in over the
> other interface(s).
>
> The 2948 seems to be able to handle this workload...  caveats? Other concerns I
> should be considering?

Unless you have 2948G-L3s around, I would really recommend the 3550
(or a chassis based solution like the 4507R or the 6500). The 3550
can't handle more than 128 VLANs, though.

The 2948G-L3 is a pretty decent L3 box, but it's a lousy L2 box. In
other words, stay away from bridging. Also, the 2948G-L3 is nearing
the end of its life - no new functionality is being added.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no