[nsp] VIP CPU utilization measurement in 7500s?

Edward Henigin ed at staff.texas.net
Thu Feb 27 10:52:53 EST 2003

We've been banging our collective heads against the wall for years
on this issue.  What is the best way of measuring the CPU utilization
on your VIPs, in a 7500?

Expect/telnet would work ("if-cons 5 c\nshow proc cpu\n") but I'm
a little uncomfortable with potentially triggering IPC bugs when
running that 288 times/day.  Also, you need to implement locking,
so that if the vip doesn't respond, you don't stack up multiple
sessions and use all your vty's.

Cisco exposes the CPU utilization values for the VIPs via SNMP,
but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can figure out how to correlate
the SNMP table indexes to the actual VIP indexes.  This blows my
mind.  Why even bother implementing the sampling via SNMP if you
provide NO way of knowing which value corresponds to which card?
Unless I'm missing something, of course :)

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed