FW: [nsp] Advice fow a Newbie

Voll, Scott Scott.Voll at wesd.org
Thu Feb 27 09:31:41 EST 2003

James--

The internet.... What a weth of knowledge.  I agree with Mark, OJT and
troubleshooting.

Are you going to be on your own, or are you going to be on a team?  If
your part of a team, You can learn so much from the other people.

I work in a three person team.  The knowledge my supervisor has is from
real world experience, where mine is from the cisco Academy like yours.
The things I've seen are not always the things he as seen.  The third
person on the team comes with hacking experience.  He looks at things on
a whole new level.  So we all get educated by each other.

The lists are another great form of knowledge.  I subscribed to this
list and one in my local area.  Along the same lines, my local list is
Portland area cisco users Group, who also puts on monthly classes.  Last
month we talked about the PIX and the month before the Catalyst 6509.
This month is Wireless security.  Just get as plugged in as you can.
Learning from other is a great way to learn.  Keep your Ears open.
There has been times that if you listen, you may come up with the same
problem a couple months down the road.

Hope that helps

Scott Voll
Network Analyst, CCNA