[nsp] Windows Server Load Balancing with C6K Native IOS

Chris Johns chrisjohns_cisco at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 23:51:48 EST 2003

Hi,

Today we upgraded our cat6500 from hybrid OS to NativeIOS, everything is
working expect for one problem.

There are two windows servers directly connected to the layer 3 switch
running WSLB (multicast version). They have one virtual mac and IP address
between them and one real mac address each, they are unable to communicate
via multicast (I think) as both servers keep trying to be master as they
assume the other server is down. These servers are behind a firewall so they
are only using the cat6500 as a layer two switch, as they are routed via the
firewall. To solve the problem you can delete the multicast virtual MAC
address (03bf.8266.057a) and connectivity is restored (only temporarily)
until the mac-address-table is re-populated with this virtual MAC address.
When you do a show mac-address-table you see the MAC but it is not assigned
to an interface; eg.

MEL-DC2-CL1#sh mac-address-table
Codes: * - primary entry

  vlan   mac address     type    learn qos            ports
------+----------------+--------+-----+---+--------------------------
   323  0030.6e2c.5dfb   dynamic  No    --  Gi2/2
   321  00d0.b7b9.0be7   dynamic  No    --  Gi6/4
   321  00d0.b7b9.0bc0   dynamic  No    --  Gi3/5
   323  03bf.8266.057a   static  Yes    --

as you can see the bottom entry mac is not assigned to an interface. I
believe this is the problem.

MEL-DC2-CL1#sh mac multicast

vlan   mac address     type   learn  protocolqos             ports
-----+---------------+--------+-----+---------+---+---------------------
323  0100.5e7f.fffe    static  Yes   --  Gi2/2
323  03bf.8266.057a    static  Yes   --
323  0100.5e00.0118    static  Yes   --  Gi4/3
323  0100.5e00.0128    static  Yes   --  Router

again there is no port for the virtual MAC

I have tried adding a static mac address but this is also not sucessful; eg.
MEL-DC2-CL1(config)#mac-address-table static 03bf.8266.057a vlan 323
interface gi4/2 disable-snooping protocol ip

I have also tried enabling/disabling multicast but this hasn't helped
either, has anyone else seen this problem with NativeIOS, this exact same
setup was working with hybrid OS

DIAGRAM

host1----(C A T)___________(F I R E)
host2----(6 5 0 0)         (W A L L)