[[nsp] ACLs]

Chris Davis chris.davis at computerjobs.com
Fri Feb 28 13:47:41 EST 2003

Isn't ACL optimization a feature of CiscoWorks?  Unless I'm mistaken, your
router should accept an ACL as pasted.

I've seen HyperTerminal on Windows botch captures & pastes.  Otherwise I've
had no problems.

If you've mistyped ACL lines in your text editor, the router will not accept
the lines that are in error when you paste the ACL.  However, if your ACL is
long you may not notice the router's complaints about the bad lines, and
then when you do 'show run' you wonder where your (erroneous) ACL lines
went.

I have a suggestion for a safer sequence to follow for replacing ACL 190-
 1- Capture your ACL 190 and make your changes/additions in your text
editor.
 2- Find and replace the ACL number in your text editor to 191 (or some
other number not already in use on the router).
 3- Paste the edited ACL with its new number (191 in this example) into your
router.
 4- Apply the new ACL 191 to the interface in place of the old ACL 190.

This way in case of a mistake or problem like you are experiencing, you can
switch back to the old ACL just by reapplying it.  No need to open the saved
ACL text file and try to paste it back in. Later, once you're confident
everything's well and good, you can remove the old ACL 190.

Christopher Davis
http://www.winSnmpWalk.org