[nsp] Newbie QoS quiestion?

Sean Crocker crockers at mail.trinicom.com
Wed Jan 1 18:36:08 EST 2003

>Someone who experimented with microflows told me that the typical
>bandwidth hogs just open too much flows, so this doesn't help much in
>the interesting applications.

That may be true.  I'm more interested in using microflow policing
to prevent starvation further in the core on devices that cannot
police their SPQs.  The apps in that case behave differently.

>Microflows aren't configurable to
>source-only or destination-only an per-traffic-class basis, are they?

I don't think so, but then you would simply use an aggregate policer
instead if I understand your question correctly, although that may not
scale.  It would be great if microflow policing could be tweaked on
what defines the sessions (only SA/DA instead of Sport/Dport for
example) sorta like MLS flow caching.

Sean