[nsp] BGP4 and high Ping Times

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 20:01:17 EST 2003

well cef is the way it processes packets transiting the router, if your just
pinging the router itself then you wont see a difference. but i'm sure your
reason for having the router is to route not be pinged so you want cef else your
performance will spiral into nothing

from the other email you have 3x full tables (120000 each) plus 12 peers so your
doing upwards of 350000 routes on this box

short answer is you're overloading it, buy something bigger if you must carry
this number of routes

as per other emails, if you can eliminate the routes you should be
fine.. consider using a default to the upstream rather than a full table, you
can use multiple defaults with equal or different metrics for different results

Steve