[nsp] Cat6509/MSFC2 hybrid, hw switched multicast forwarding freezes

Matti Saarinen mjs at cc.tut.fi
Thu Jul 3 11:48:49 EDT 2003

We have a annoying problem with multicast on our Catalyst 6509. The
box runs still hybrid software. The CatOS version used is 7.6(1) and
the IOS on MSFC is 12.1(19)E1. I've done several software upgrades
while trying to solve this issue without any real effect.

The problem is that when the box decides to push the multicast traffic
via PFC all the multicast forwarding stops. When I checked the state
of the MLS by issuing the command show mls ip multicast group n.n.n.n
I found out the fact the forwarding of the multicast stops at the
moment when a new hardware switched flow for the host that has joined
to the group is installed on PFC. When there's only one hrdware
switched flow for the group the multicast forwarding works.

Our Cisco support partner cannot reproduce this situation in their lab
so I'm rather alone with my problem right now. I hope that someone on
this list could give a hint or two about what should I do next.

--
- Matti -